(Banaras), M.Met., Ph.D. (Sheffield)
Professor (Part Time)
Materials Science and Engineering
1280 Main Street West, Hamilton
Ontario, Canada L8S 4L7
office: ABB 430
e-mail: subraman@ (mcmaster.ca)
voice: (905) 525 -9140 ext. 24854
Solidification, continuous casting, strip casting and shaped casting.
Thermodynamics and kinetics of precipitation of microalloyed steel:
quantitative modelling of steel processing aimed at nicrostructural
optimization for sheet, plate and bar products. Microstructural
design for improved machinability.
Current Research Projects:
- Quantitative modelling of solidification, precipitation and
recrystallization analyses in microalloyed line pipe steel
- Thermo kinetic analyses of precipitation in microalloyed interstitial
free sheet steel
- Microstructural engineering of calcium treated microalloyed
medium carbon steel for improved machinability;
- Graphite morphology control in cast iron
- Micromechanisms of tool wear and chip formation during high
speed machining of metals.
Current Collaborative Research Projects:
- Development of Environmentally Friendly Non-toxic Free-cutting
Steels, U.S. Automotive Partnership (GM, Ford and Chrysler) in
Cooperation with Steel Machinability Research Consortium (Four
Steel Companies), DOE Funded Project (DOE CIS 320 USAMP COOP Agreement
- Research Project on Machinability Aspects in Microalloying Forge
Steels (Consortium of Nine Companies & NSERC Support).
Recent Research Publications (last three
- S.V. Subramanian, H.O. Gekonde and J. Gao, "Microstructural
Engineering for Hard Turning", 40th Mechanical Working and
Steel Processing Conference, ISS, Vol. XXXVI, 1998, pp. 707-713.
- S.V. Subramanian, H.O. Gekonde, X. Zhang, and J. Gao: "Inclusion
Engineering of Steels for High Speed Machining", CIM Bulletin,
June 1998, pp. 107-115.
- H.O. Gekonde and S.V. Subramanian: "Tool Wear and Surface
Finish in High Speed Machining of Steel", Proc. 39th MWSP
Conf., ISS, Vol.XXXV, 1998, pp.733-747.
- S.V. Subramanian and G.C. Weatherly: "Precipitate Evolution
in Ti-Nb and Ti-V Microalloyed Steels", Thermec97,
Wollongong, Australia, TMS Publication, USA, pp.827-835.
- Z. Simanovic, U.J. Brand, M. Ichikawa and S.V. Subramanian:
"Studies on the Bake-hardening Behaviour of Microalloyed
Ultra Low Carbon Steels", Thermec97, Wollongong, Australia,
TMS Publication, USA, pp.419-425.
- S.V. Subramanian and D.A.R. Kay: "Microstructural Engineering
for Enhanced Machinability", 38th MWSP Conf., ISS, Vol.XXXIV,
- M. Prikryl, A. Kroupa, G.C. Weatherly and S.V. Subramanian:
"Precipitation Behaviour in a Medium Carbon, Ti-V-N Microalloyed
Steel", Metall. and Mater. Trans. A, Vol.27A, 1996, pp.1149-1165.
- S.V. Subramanian and A.J. Genualdi: "Optimization of Damping
Capacity and Strength in Hypereutectic Gray Cast Iron", AFS
Trans., 96-138, pp.995-1001.
- S.V. Subramanian and K. Ramanujachar: "Strategies to Replace
Lead in Free-Cutting Steels", 37th MWSP Conf., ISS, Vol.XXXIII,
- K. Ramanujachar and S.V. Subramanian: "Micromechanisms
of Tool Wear in Machining Free Cutting Steels", Wear, Vol.197,
- S.V. Subramanian, Qichuan Jiang, S. Thangirala, G.R. Purdy and
D.A.R. Kay: "Research Project No. 27, Rare Earths in Ductile
Iron Production: A Critical Review", Ductile Iron Society,
Ohio, Oct. 1996.
Recent Awards (last three years)
- Vanadium Award, Institute for Materials, U.K., 1996.
- Gilbert Speich Award, Iron and Steel Society, USA, 1996
Current Graduate Students
Haron Gekonde, Ph.D., Influence of dynamic
of materials on machinability,1998.
Alasdair Paterson, M.Eng., Inclusion engineering
of microalloyed forging grade steel.